Building the most remarkable monument of the city, the Cathedral of Winchester, started in 1079, and the tabernacle was consecrated in 1093. The exterior is bulky, Norman specific structures, so Gothic interior brightness and delicacy, are even more astounding. The Tower, crypt and nave mighty center perpendicular reveals one of the most telling examples of Norman architecture remaining in the entire world. Other features, such as arches, presbyterate (behind the choir surrounding the main altar) and windows represent changes gothic made between XII-XIV centuries. Unfortunately very little remained of the original stained glass because of Cromwell’s Puritan troops, who looted the cathedral in the eighteenth century, during the civil war in England, but there can still be admired the sumptuous illuminated Bible, dating from the thirteenth century, and Triforium Gallery. Occasionally, if sermons or special ceremonies are held in Winchester Cathedral, it is closed to visitors.